The Folloze-Marketo connector was created to allow customers of both platforms to exchange data and events from Folloze to Marketo. The main goals for the integration are:
- Attribution & analytics - create new leads/contacts in Marketo and report rich Folloze activities to Marketo to be able to attribute these activities to relevant Marketo programs/campaigns and run reports to analyze this data. Example: create a content nurturing package in Folloze and report people that engage with the package under the relevant Marketo program
- Triggered campaigns - initiate Marketo campaigns/programs based on activities performed in Folloze. Example: create a Marketo nurture campaign based on CTA clicks performed in Folloze
- Sales insights - share with sales teams some key engagement activities from Folloze, such as content consumption or CTA (either as Interesting Moments or by syncing the specific activities to the company’s CRM, using Marketo as a midpoint for further integration). Example: notify sales on leads that have engaged with 3 or more assets
The key integration points between the 2 platforms are:
- New lead/person creation - Folloze creates new leads/people in Marketo if they do not yet exist in Marketo. The creation is performed based on the data existent about the lead - both for inbound and outbound flow (see below).
- Add leads to the program and update their status - each board can be mapped to a Marketo program. Upon interaction of a lead with a board, their engagement status changes. There are 4 basic statuses for board engagement: Visitor, Viewer, Super Viewer, and Clicker. Please note that Folloze requires those statuses in the program definition and has its own channel for program creation.
- Report custom activities - Each activity in Folloze can be reported to Marketo as an individual custom activity record (see custom activity data structure here). This allows you to get complete activity insights in Marketo. The 7 activities reported are: email send (for Folloze emails), email open (for Folloze emails), Board View, Item View, CTA Click, Gating form fill, and Board Share.
- Create a Marketo campaign linking to a Folloze board (no API needed) - Folloze is often a destination for inbound and outbound campaigns, including Marketo email campaigns. Folloze offers a campaign link that allows for Marketo to pass lead identity to Folloze.
- Leveraging Marketo forms in Folloze (no API needed) - See this article for more information on utilizing Marketo Forms in Folloze
Illustration 1: Folloze-Marketo integration points
Use cases and Flows (advanced)
Folloze is a buyer experience platform that supports both inbound (anonymous leads) and outbound (known leads) use cases. Folloze identity management includes capturing lead identity and leveraging this information across all Folloze boards for a certain company. As such, if a lead has been identified on a board, the lead will be known across all company boards. For example, if a lead has converted in a content nurture board, they will be known in an ABM board. Please see below the flow of lead creation and activity reporting for each scenario.
Illustration 2: inbound and outbound lead interaction flow
Marketo and CRM integration
Many customers sync their CRM (eg Salesforce, MS-Dynamics) with their marketing automation (Marketo, Eloqua, Salesforce Marketing Cloud). If such a sync is enabled, it may impact the approach for Folloze-Marketo integration. For example, customers may decide to manage lead creation and program association in Marketo but sync the individual activities to their CRM (and in turn, allow the sync from CRM<>Marketo sync those activities to Marketo). This approach is possible and may save API calls to Marketo (see considerations for API rate limit section in this article for more information). For more information, you can schedule a consultancy session with the Folloze solution engineering team. Please contact email@example.com or your Customer Success Manager to do so.