The Folloze-Marketo API connector allows you to push activities performed by your leads and contacts into Marketo. This enables you to better track prospect/customer engagement by leveraging Folloze engagement in attribution reporting.
When integrating Folloze and Marketo, you will need to perform some technical set-up in Marketo, Folloze Company Admin, and the Folloze boards you'd like to report on. See below for instructions for each part of the setup process.
Setting Up the Marketo Integration
The Marketo Integration set up is made up of the following general steps:
- Configure settings in your Marketo instance
- Connect your Folloze instance to your Marketo instance
- Configure your Folloze boards to use the Marketo integration
Add a Marketo API user for Folloze
- If you don’t currently have an API user role defined in Marketo, go to Admin > Users and Roles > Roles > New Roles. Name your role "API User", and check the "Access API" box and then click Create.
- To invite an API user with the new role (or your existing API user role), go to Admin > Users and Roles > Users > Invite New User.
- Fill in the form.
4. Click Next to get to the Permissions tab.
5. Choose the API role you created (or your existing API role).
6. Check the box for "API Only".
7. Click Next to get to the Message tab, then click Send.
Create a Folloze custom activity
- In Marketo, go to Admin > Database Management > Marketo Custom Activities.
- Create a new custom activity and name it “Folloze activity”
- For Filter, enter "Performed Folloze Activity". For Trigger, enter "Performs Folloze Activity".
- Define the primary field for the new custom activity you just created. Fill in “Activity Name” as the field name (the API name will be filled automatically).
- To add the rest of the fields to the custom activity, go to Fields > New Field.
- For each of the following, add a new field, set the Data Type to "string", and specify the following names (API names will populate automatically):
- To approve the Custom Activity you just created, go to Admin > Custom Activities > Folloze Activity > Custom Activity Actions > Approve Activity.
- Make a note of the Custom Activity ID that appears after approval - you will need this later!
Create a new launchpoint
- Go to Admin > LaunchPoint > New > New Service.
- Name: Folloze
- Service: Custom
- Description: REST API
- API Only User: choose the API user you created above
Get your Endpoint and Identity from Web Services
- Go to Admin > Web Services > REST API.
- Make a note of the Endpoint and Identity values.
Create a Folloze Channel
- Go to Admin > Tags > New > New Channel.
- Enter a Channel name (eg "Folloze"). Add Visitor, Viewer, Super Viewer, and Clicker to the Status list. Set up your Steps/Successes as seen below (or however your use case dictates).
Create a Folloze Program
- To create a new program, go to Marketing Activities > New > New Program.
- Name your program "Folloze" (or any other name). Set the type to "Default". Make a note of your Program name for the setup in Folloze Company Admin.
- You may create a new Folloze Campaign Folder, or add the program to an existing Marketing Activity Folder.
- Assign the program to the Folloze channel you created above.
Folloze Company Admin Configuration
You will need to be a Folloze Admin and have the following information available in order to proceed:
- Client ID
- Client Secret
- Rest Endpoint
- Identity Endpoint
- Custom Activity ID
- Channel Name
- Folder Name
Next, complete the Folloze + Marketo connection using the info listed above.
- In Folloze, go to Profile > Company Admin > Integrations > Marketo.
- Click On to Connect/Enable Marketo.
- Enter your Client ID, Client Secret, REST Endpoint, Identity Endpoint, Custom Activity ID, Channel Name, and Folder Name. Click Save at the bottom of the page. Tip: click Search under your Folder Name to validate that your connection is working (you will receive a green success message if all of your information is correct)
- Turn on the toggles for "Create new leads", "Update data for existing leads", "Associate lead with a program", and "Report prospect activities settings" as needed. For a full explanation of what each setting does, see this article.
- Add Lead attribute mapping, by entering the Marketo Field ID (Marketo API Name) for each field.
- To save all settings, click Save.
Folloze Board Configuration
For each board you would like to report to Marketo:
- Go to your board > Settings tab > Integrations.
- Select the Marketo section.
- Turn on the Enable reporting for this board toggle.
- Enter your Program name (Note: if you do not select a program name, but reporting is enabled, Folloze will attempt to create a program in your Marketo instance with the same name as the Folloze board. E.g. in the example below, a new program will be created in Marketo called "ModoMind for Kaiser [Marketo Demo]".
Considerations for Folloze configuration
- Since Marketo has a daily API call limit, it is important to configure the integration to sync the data points that matter the most.
- One of the important considerations is which Folloze activities to sync with Marketo. For example, "email send" activity is likely to generate a large volume of calls, as there will be one API call to Marketo per lead who is sent an email.
- The rule of thumb is to sync high value activities such as CTA, gated form and item view to Marketo
- In order to maintain Marketo's API call limit and to prevent the creation of dirty data in Marketo, the Folloze-Marketo API integration does NOT pass activities or create/update lead information for internal leads (e.g. if your domain is Folloze.com, the API integration will not pass over information for emails @folloze.com.)
- If your Marketo person database contains duplicate email addresses, Folloze may be unable to update program member status for those records.